Outstanding applicants spur Fair to increase 2017 awards.
The Alaska State Fair received so many amazing scholarship applications this year that they increased the awards!
The Fair originally planned to award seven scholarships totaling $7,000 (which was up significantly from the $4,250 awarded last year). But after reviewing the applications, the scholarship committee unanimously approved an increase to nine scholarships totaling $8,000.
Congratulations to the 2017 scholarship recipients:
• First place - $2,500: Annie Kessler of Colony High School
• Second place - $1,500: Summer Putman of Juneau-Douglas High School
• Third place - $1,000: Lily Anna Sessom of Colony High school
• Honorable Mention - $500: John F. Jones of IDEA
• Honorable Mention - $500: Ruby Woodings of Palmer High School
• Honorable Mention - $500: Alexa Barfield of Palmer High School (photo not available)
• Honorable Mention - $500: Fisher Dill of Frank A. Degnan High School
• Honorable Mention - $500: Micah L. Johnson of IDEA
• Honorable Mention - $500: McKenna Dinkel of Mat-Su Central Home School (photo not available)
The Fair received a total of forty applications this year from students all over the state. While not everyone could receive a scholarship, all applicants did get two free admissions to the 2017 fair.
Fair scholarships are open to all Alaska junior and senior high school students who plan to attend college or vocational school. Applicants submit a cover letter, extracurricular resume, letter of recommendation, photo and an essay or creative project. The Fair will make a call for 2018 scholarship applications early next year.
For more information, visit alaskastatefair.org or contact Kelly Larson, Fair Director of Community and Corporate Relations at 907.746.7164 or email@example.com.