Contributed by Lynn Lovegreen
On Wednesday, November 28, a group of Alaskan children’s and young adult authors and illustrators are hosting a book fair, with writing-related activities for all ages.
The Alaska PALs (Published and Listed) group of SCBWI (the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators) are traditionally published Alaskan authors and illustrators. Members host and participate in events throughout the year, including the following:
- A spring retreat and fall conference for working and aspiring authors and illustrators
- A book table at the Saturday Market
- A panel at the Alaska Library Association conference
- Events for Alaska Book Week
- School programs
Proceeds from the book fair, 1:00-8:00 pm Nov. 28 at the Anchorage Barnes & Noble, will support the nonprofit Alaska chapter. It’s a great time to take care of holiday shopping, and most items in the store count, including not only books, but also toys, music, and even goodies from the snack bar.
Book Fair Activities, 1-8 pm
- Information table about SCBWI for aspiring writers and illustrators
- Scavenger hunt
Book signings by authors and illustrators
- Barbara Lavallee, artist and picture book illustrator, 1-3 pm
- Barbara and Ethan Atwater, picture book authors, 3-5 pm
- Lucas Elliott, artist and illustrator, 5:30-8 pm
- Dan Walker, middle grade author, 1-8 pm
- Jen Funk Weber, picture book and puzzle author, 1-8 pm
Story time and Reading
- Barbara and Ethan Atwater and Jen Funk Weber, 4:30-5 pm
- Dan Walker, 5-5:30 pm
- Grades 1–4: Puzzle Writing, with Jen Funk Weber, 3-4 pm
- Grades 4–8: Make Old Stories New: Writing from Models, with Dan Walker, 3-4 pm
- Teens: What’s Your Story? with Lynn Lovegreen, 3-4 pm
- Comic page workshop, all ages, with Lucas Elliott, 5:30-6 pm
- Literary Improv - Fun for the whole family, as well as writers and illustrators. Generate dozens of story ideas and create flash stories to stretch, exercise, and develop creative muscles. With Lynn Lovegreen, Jen Funk Weber, Dan Walker, picture book author Matt Lasley, and author/illustrator Jena Benton Lasley, 6-7 pm.
First line challenge and author panel - For all ages (kids and adults). See if these famous first lines ring any bells, then talk with authors and illustrators about the writing life in Alaska. With Jen Funk Weber, Dan Walker, young adult author Lynn Lovegreen, Matt Lasley, and Jena Benton Lasley, 7-8 pm.
For more information, contact Lynn Lovegreen at firstname.lastname@example.org or 907-345-5831, or Jen Funk Weber at email@example.com or 907-746-5641.